Surrounded by hedges on the corner of Saint Ronan Street in New Haven is a 1913 Colonial-style home that stands out with its tall columns, stucco exterior and tile roof. Its noticeable differences from the other classic home on the street come courtesy of the designer and the original owner who commissioned it.
According to listing agent for Pearce Real Estate Wojtek Borowski, the 352 Saint Ronan Street home was built for German immigrant Adolph Mendel, who partnered with Isidor Freeman to found what became one of the biggest department stores in Connecticut called Mendel and Freedman on Chapel Street. Now listed for $2.5 million, the home was “built to impress” by local architect R.W. Foote, Borowski noted, who designed several homes in the area as well as the building for the United Illuminating Company on Temple Street in 1909.